Wednesday, 24 June 2015

Sherlock Holmes article

While I'm working on perfecting the layout and design of The Beyer Page, I thought I'd write a bit about an article I published back in February on the topic of contemporary recastings of Sherlock Holmes. The article is called:  "Sherlock Holmes Reimagined: An Exploration of Selected Short Stories from A Study in Sherlock: Stories Inspired by the Holmes Canon", and it was published in the journal Oscholars in a special issue devoted to Conan Doyle.

The short story collection A Study in Sherlock: Stories Inspired by the Holmes Canon was published in 2011, and edited by Laurie R. King and Leslie S. Klinger.  I examined selected short stories from this collection, and really enjoyed engaging with the texts and their contexts, working on finding an angle or a prism through which to read them which would help me highlight the ideas and textual strategies I thought were most pertinent.  Writing this article was very enjoyable, and I learned a lot from it.  You can read the article, along with the other excellent essays on Conan Doyle, in the journal here:  http://oscholars-oscholars.com/special-issues/doyle/



In the article, I concentrated on the stories by Tony Broadbent, Gayle Lynds & John Sheldon, Lee Child, Laura Lippman, and Jacqueline Winspear.  I focused on three main areas of enquiry which seemed to me to highlight some of the enduring tensions and challenges of reimagining Sherlock Holmes:  contemporary pastiche, changing the tone to hard-boiled, and gender.  The challenge was researching and writing about texts that have received little prior critical attention, but as a contemporary literature expert that is quite commonplace for me.  The essay on A Study in Sherlock: Stories Inspired by the Holmes Canon was my first published venture so far into Sherlock territory.  I hope there'll be more.  I also hope to make use of some of this material in my teaching next year, on my Crime Fiction module.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.