Sunday, 26 July 2015

Recent conference on "Representing the Tudors"

On 10 July 2015 I attended the fascinating conference, "Representing the Tudors", at University of South Wales.  The conference was organised by an international group of Tudor period scholars, Ingibjörg Ágústsdóttir from University of Iceland, and Diana Wallace and Jane Finucane, both from University of South Wales. It was great to see Inga and Diana again - the last time I met them both was at the 'The Marginalised Mainstream' conference at University of London in November 2012.  I also met up with Emily Garside, the co-organiser of the 2014 New Directions in Sherlock conference at UCL, which was really nice.



"Representing the Tudors" coincided with an exhibition of Welsh art at University of South Wales, entitled Engaging with the Past, echoing the theme and focus of the conference, in its diversity of artistic and representational methods and its multifaceted creative exploration of history. It was inspiring to be able to combine the contemplation of artwork with listening to papers. University of South Wales in Treforest was a great venue for the conference - close to Cardiff, and surrounded by lovely views which I was able to enjoy in the afternoon during the tea break outside.


Dr Jerome de Groot from University of Manchester, gave the morning's excellent keynote, entitled 'The discreet sigh of flesh against flesh': affect, materiality and ghostliness‘.   I gave my own paper in the session on 'Tudors in Fiction' later that morning.  My paper was called '“I stand out like a raven”: Female Detection and the Tudor Period in Nancy Bilyeau’s Crime Fiction.' This examination of the contemporary American writer Nancy Bilyeau and her creative engagement with Tudor history in her fiction afforded me a way of thinking about how we re-present this period through present-day literary modes and discourses, and the challenges and opportunities this provides.  Follow the link for more information about Representing the Tudors.



Sadly I wasn't able to stay for the whole two days, but I thoroughly enjoyed the entire experience at the conference. I particularly valued the opportunity to engage with Bilyeau's complex and well-constructed historical thrillers, and was pleased to present the work to such a supportive and engaged audience. This paper was the result of recent new research I have undertaken, so I was appreciative of the useful feedback and responses I received at the conference, and I plan to publish the paper in the future! After the conference I came away with newfound interests and inspirations, which I will be pursuing further this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.